Blog 3

When it comes to discussing street art, I find it hard to agree with either of the two ethical criticisms surrounding the subject. At first, I thought I would identify more with the autonomist model, where ethics have no effect on the aesthetic value of a piece, rather than the ethicist model, where if the ethics of a piece are in question, then the aesthetic value of the piece is also in question. However, when the author of the article brought up the fact that disregarding the ethics of a piece in favor of its aesthetic value does not properly communicate the message or idea behind the art, I changed my view. I think both models are flawed and that they try to simplify a very complex discussion. The ethics of street art should be discussed alongside the aesthetic value; however, if they are flawed or questionable they should not diminish the aesthetic value. Instead, they should be discussed on how they correlate or add to the aesthetic value, and what the art is trying to say through the ethical or unethical way it came about.


Comments